Friday, May 11, 2012

friends

preface: this is one of those posts that has been brewing in my head the almost a week.
i may ramble.
i may appear discombobulated.
i need to get it out.
so here goes...

last saturday, a friend of mine posted a very simple question on facebook.
"what are 5 things that you look for in a friend?"

and yet, that very simple question,
has had me searching pinterest for inspiration.

Pinned Image

Pinned Image


reading my newest favorite book, bloom: finding beauty in the unexpected by Kelle Hampton.
seriously, i read this book in under 3 days (a great feat for me)! it is such a fast read. and yet, when you finish it you feel so happy and warm and eager to face any challenge in front of you.
kelle hampton is a mom and blogger. her book shares the birth story and first year of life with their youngest daughter, nella. clink on the link above to see the trailer for this book.
she writes extensively about how her friends rallied together in support of her family.  
this book instantly skyrocketed to my top 5 favorite books list.
on a side note, i learned that it is not the best book to take as reading material for a haircut and color session...puffy eyes and a new doo don't always make a great combination.

and yet, i continue to think, ponder, and wonder...
what qualities do i look for in a friend?
why do some people make better friends?
how is it that some friends are the kind that you don't talk to for a while, yet as soon as you see each other again, everything clicks and it's like you were never apart?

i have had lots of friends during my short years.
friends that have come, gone, and a select few who have stayed.
i feel very lucky to have friends who love me with all of my baggage,
and who love my kids like they are their own,
and who think my husband is funny and strong,
and who will sit outside and drink wine in our front yards,
and who will tell my dad to go inside because the tornado sirens are going off,
and who will call me just to say hi,
and who can walk into my house, without passing judgement.
and who could order food for me at a restaurant,
and who know when i'm having a bad day just by looking at me,
and who understand that a hug or laughter is the perfect solution some days.

so, after all of this thinking and pondering, i finally replied to the original posting...
"what are 5 things you look for in a friend?"
honesty. loyalty. a kind, loving heart. a sense of humor. someone who just "gets" me.

i now extend the question to all of you, what are 5 things you look for in friend?
please share.
oh, and a word of warning, it will get your synapses firing!

since i haven't posted in a bit,
i thought i would share some of my favorite memories from the past few weeks.


jack at his first cardinal's baseball game!

pretty intense field day!

louie parachuting during field day!

"mom, i'm playing with the kids!"

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, Lisa! True friends are hard to come by, but man when you find them, you never let go =)

    Miss you, friend. Glad we have the blog world to connect us.

    peacelovejen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete